Thursday 12 March 2015

Yellow is the New Black

I sometimes find myself in a bit of a rut with my makeup in that I often match, in some way, my makeup to my outfit, and this sometimes means that I always do my makeup in the same way each time I wear a particular t-shirt.

I have one particular t-shirt; a Weyland-Yutani/Alien t-shirt, which I bought from Truffle Shuffle with my birthday money last year. I fall into this trap a lot with this shirt because the colours, being a dark grey t-shirt with a predominately yellow print, seem really difficult to work with.

Check out Truffle Shuffle here:- http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/

This look, which I posted in my original blog post, is actually my standard look for this t-shirt. I had also received the Sleek Acid Palette for my birthday that year from my work colleagues, and so it became integral to my makeup for this outfit. I remember when I came up with it that I wasn’t really thrilled with the idea of just using yellow and grey, and so I worked in the orange and green.

My usual look for this t-shirt, and one of my first looks when I got my Sleek Acid Palette

After having done my makeup with this t-shirt in exactly the same way for the past year, when I’ve worn the t-shirt recently, I’ve pushed myself to do something different.

Firstly, I pushed myself to play with just the yellow and grey. I did end up going very dark in the crease (darker than just grey), as I was just enjoying being dramatic. I used two shades of yellow on the lid, and I think this made it look a lot more interesting than a flat yellow.

Dramatic yellow and black cut-crease. I still used the Sleek neon yellow in the inner corner 

I was surprised how good the yellow shades turned out in the end

For the second look, I decided I wanted to use an eyeshadow I bought ages ago and hadn’t used much, which was the Stargazer neon eyeshadow in Rouge. I bought this with the intention of using it with my Acid Palette, but for some reason, never got around to it. This eyeshadow was difficult to work with, and required a lot of blending with a transition colour to get a seamless blend. I loved the way this came out, with the Sleek colours on the lid and a soft, shimmery grey in the crease, which came from the ever-faithful 88 palette.

It seemed odd to mix red, orange and yellow with grey, but I really liked how it turned out 

The Stargazer "rouge" was a bit difficult to work with, but it was worth it


It’s good to break out of the rut; I think I’ll try to push myself to rotate my eyeshadow looks, rather than chaining every item of clothing to an old favourite look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment