Tuesday 24 February 2015

Skincare Shenanigans- KoKo Mini-Review

I’ve got this week off work in glorious celebration of my birthday. Traditionally, I always take my birthday week off work, and enjoy a serious session of relaxation and pampering. In preparation for this, I’ve been ordering from KoKo, which is a company I discovered a few months ago, which I have really become addicted to.


Basically, after several months of serious frothing off over countless Memebox openings on the Youtube, I was developing a serious interest in the exciting world of Korean skincare products. I endeavoured to find a UK company that sold the kind of things I wanted to purchase, and KoKo was where I ended up. Since my first order, I haven’t actually managed to let a month go by without ordering something, and it’s now become my payday ritual to come straight in from work and start ordering my goodies for the upcoming month.

I was very excited to try Korean sheet masks. I’ve used sheet masks before from Montagne Jeunesse (I really love their “mud pack” style masks), but I was never that impressed with them; I found the material of the mask coarse and the serums often too uncomfortable to have sat on the face for long (especially with a heavy-ass coarse cloth holding that+ crap on) and the whole thing left me quite cold. However, since the entire internet seemed to be waxing lyrical, I had slowly built up an interest again.

My goodies for my week off work from KoKo

The masks I ordered were from Missha; since my original order, I’ve had these in Green Tea, Honey, Pearl and Pomegranate. The masks themselves are light and comfortable to wear, and I feel they’re a pretty decent sort of fit. The cloth has none of “school toilet paper towel” texture of the Montagne Jeunesse ones, and they are properly saturated with the serum. Wearing one is a pleasure, and I found all the ones I’ve tried to be soothing and brightening for my skin. When I get up in the morning after I’ve used one the night before, my skin looks and feels softer and I find blemishes are often reduced. My favourite are the Pomegranate ones, which I feel just do the most for my skin type.

I’ve also enjoyed a number of products from Etude House, particularly the Charcoal Chin Strips (which are probably the finest pore strips you can buy, and whilst more expensive than the cheap ones I usually use, these seem to remove impurities and sooth the area, without feeling like you just ripped half your face off) and the Collagen Eye Patches (not something I use often, but these are so relaxing and refreshing for tired eyes; you can see and feel an instant improvement).

My purchases also led me to the Etude House 7-in-1 Wonder Pore Brush, which I tried as an alternative to selling a kidney and buying a Clarisonic. I’ve been using this manual pore brush for several months with a foaming face cleanser, and I feel it’s done a lot to reduce blemishes.

Yes, the brush is damp; face needed washing...


All in all, I love KoKo. They sell interesting products, dispatch promptly, and quite unusually for a UK company, send samples with your order so you get something else to try. They do, at present, have a comparatively small range of products, but I feel they have a lot of potential and desire to expand. I still look forward to my monthly order, and would recommend you check them out.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried any sheet masks from "My Beauty Diary"? It's a taiwanese brand I think. I mostly use theirs and am interested in how other sheet masks compare! Another Korean brand that is pretty good is Skinfood, they make a really nice black sugar and rice exoliating mask (not sheet). Etude House stuff is all so adorable, whenever I go into their stores, I feel so a bit out of place haha, because everyone and everything is so freaking cutesy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried anything from My Beauty Diary, so I can't same how they compare to the Missha masks I've been using. They also sell Skinfood on KoKo, so I might try something from them in the future. I would love to get the opportunity to go to one of the Etude House stores; none near me though!

    ReplyDelete