Tuesday 17 February 2015

Valentine's Day

My other half and I don’t really make too much of a big deal out of Valentine’s Day; I like to get a card, and it’s a pretty sweet excuse to have a fancy-ass meal, but my partner is under strict instructions to never bother with a gift, and certainly never bother with flowers that, the following day, will be a fraction of the price! We have been out to restaurants for Valentine’s Day in the past, and it’s always so busy, presuming you can get somewhere without a lacklustre set menu for the occasion. It’s since become our tradition to make one another nice meals at home in celebration.

This year I did fillet steak, as I had some in the freezer from Christmas, which I topped with stilton and jalapenos. It tastes pretty damn good, and is also easy to prepare. On the makeup front though, I was feeling a little uninspired; all I really knew was that I’m still in the thrall of my Sugarpill palettes right now, so that was what I wanted to use!



I asked my partner what he thought I should do and helpfully got “it’s Valentine’s Day, so shouldn’t you be wearing pink?” Of course, at the moment, the only one of the Sugarpill Addicted to Pretty palettes I don’t have is the Sweetheart palette, containing their signature pink, Dollipop, (I swear, I’ll be having it when Cocktail Cosmetics get it back in stock!) so I found myself making something up on the fly.

What I ended up with was a pretty dramatic , colourful look using red and purples from Sugarpill (Love+, Poison Plum and 2am) and pinks from my Sigma Crème de Couture palette, which is another all-time favourite palette of mine (Cherry Blossom and Redberry Rose). I think my favourite thing about the look was that I used a muted reddish sort of colour from my extremely battered old 88 palette and used this as a base for Poison Plum and 2am in the crease; I think it really brought out the fire in those two colours, and tied it in nicely to the pinks.




For something I had no strong concept for, I was really pleased with the outcome especially by the time I had my pink Hell Bunny zombie unicorn dress on. I also tried out a face primer for the first time; perhaps when I have a strong opinion, I’ll come back to you on that.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, not sure if my comment posted! Just checking to see if this one does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah okay, I guess it didn't post! Sorry! Anyway, I saw your lovely look on Makeupbee, and I wanted to share our site with you, since Makeupbee doesn't seem to be updating anymore. It's called Savvyist (www.savvyist.com), and it's a place where beauty bloggers and makeup artists can share their looks and link back to their blog posts. I hope you join and that you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I'll check it out over the next week :)

    ReplyDelete