Sunday 5 April 2015

Post-Birthday Purchases- Mini Review

So yes, things have been quite hectic of late, and I've not had a lot of time or energy to look at updating. Still, I have been able to buy a number of new toys to play with recently, as I still has some birthday money to spend. I was also fortunate enough that my lovely work colleagues got me a voucher for Boots as part of my birthday present, so there was plenty of scope for new makeup purchases.

My post-birthday splurge goodies

I knew that as part of my post-birthday splurge, I had had my eye on a couple of items from Lunatick Cosmetics Labs that I wanted to try, namely the Cool Contour face palette and the Finish Her HD Finishing powder. I recently discovered Lunatick Cosmetic Labs have a UK vendor available at Cute Cosmetics, so I made my purchase from there.

I don't plan to go into too much depth about either of these products in this post, as it's my intention to do a more in-depth review on Lunatick Cosmetic Labs in the future.

My Lunatick Cosmetic Labs "Cool Contour" face palette- these powders are the softest I've ever used, which is a double-edged sword
Check out Lunatick Cosmetics here:- http://www.lunaticklabs.com/
I made my purchase from Cute Cosmetics, who can be found here:- http://www.cutecosmetics.co.uk/

I will say that I do have slightly mixed feelings towards my Cool Contour palette. I don't regret getting it, and I am, generally quite pleased with the finished look it gives me (and who can help but love that packaging?). Still, as the picture shows, these powders are soft to the point of ridiculousness, which, whilst easier to blend, does make them difficult to use sparingly and also quite messy. 

My Finish Her HD Powder- I love this!

Regarding the Finish Her HD Powder, I have much clearer feelings about this, in that I absolutely love it. I've never tried a finishing powder before, but I really do find this completes a full face of makeup without feeling heavy or caked on. I am slightly dubious about the faint herbal scent it leaves on your face for a while after application, but I just can't argue with the results.

I've really been enjoying this blush palette- you can't argue with £5 for 10 shades/finishes either

One of my slightly more random purchases was to buy this no-name blush palette from a trusted makeup vendor on eBay- I say "trusted" in that it's the same seller I got my 88 palette from. The seller is based in the UK, and their products come with a complete ingredients list.

I decided to buy this as I've pretty much been using the same coral coloured blush for the past 18 months, and I decided I wanted to have some more flexibility without spending too much money. This palette, for under £5, gives a variety of colours and finishes that will probably cover just about any blush look I'll ever wish to go for. I've been using it for some time now, and find all the blushes to be highly pigmented, nicely blendable, and hard wearing.

This has been a "change your life" kind of product for me- great over just concealer or to set foundation

One of the real stars of my purchases as to be the Seventeen Stay Time pressed powder, which I got from Boots. I've been looking for a new powder, but rather than just something mattifying, I wanted something with a bit more coverage. The powders I've been window-shopping have been around the £10 and up mark, but this was around half that.

I didn't expect to like this as much as I do- I think it'll be perfect in the summer when I really can't be bothered with liquid foundation

Not only does this powder keep me matte for nigh-on most of the working day, but I've actually been wearing this as an alternative to foundation in general, over a little primer and concealer, and it does a great job, giving natural coverage with next to no effort.

The texture is soft and creamy and very easy to apply with a kabuki brush. The powder has far exceeded my expectations, and compared to some of the more expensive powders I've swatched, this is by far superior.

I also bought a few eyeliners; I've had Glam Crystals glitter eyeliners before and loved them, and I was also in dire need of a new white eyeliner, so I purchased a basic one from Rimmel.

"Dollipop" from Sugarpill in the crease and brow bone; the purple in the deep crease is Poison Plum and the lid colour is Mochi, both also from Sugarpill.
Check out Sugarpill here:- http://www.sugarpillshop.com/
I bought my Dollipop single from Cute Cosmetics (linked above)

Not pictured in the main picture (since I forgot) is that I also finally bought my Sugarpill eyeshadow in Dollipop. As mentioned in my Sugarpill review, I decided against buying the full Sweetheart quad, as I just did not think I would get the use out of it that I have had from my Heartbreaker or Burning Heart palettes. 

As you can see above, I've been playing with Dollipop, and have been enjoying it a lot. It's certainly true to my high expectations of Sugarpill colours.

I still have a little bit of birthday money to spend on my Boots voucher, so there will be more goodies to come. There's nothing like a splurge on new things as a pick-me-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment